Madison was not kind to the visiting Lakeland girls hockey team when they traveled there for the Culver’s Cup tournament over the holiday weekend.  

The Thunderbirds were unable to score a goal in their first two games, getting shut out 7-0 by the St. Croix Valley Fusion on Dec. 27 and 5-0 by the Wisconsin Valley Union on Dec. 28.

Against the Fusion, the Thunderbirds had to deal with Abbie DeLong, who scored a hat trick and got the party started for St. Croix Valley.

DeLong scored 5:15 into the first off an assist from Anna Albrightson. Five minutes later Jaden Woiwode, who would almost get a hat trick herself, scored her first goal of the night of assists from Jenna Bergmanis and Gabrielle Bresina, and then DeLong scored her second goal of the period right at the end of the first, assisted by Madyson Shew. At the first intermission the score was already 3-0.

In the second, Albrightson would find the net just 2:33 into the period and just like that it was 4-0. Then DeLong completed her hat trick near the end of the period and at the second intermission the score was 5-0.

A minute into the third period, Woiwode scored her second goal of the game and then Bresina added a Trinity Carlson and Shew assisted exclamation point 16:33 into the third to cap the game at 7-0.

“Everybody had dead legs,” Lakeland head coach Steve Bucklew said. “We were just slow.”

When the dust settled the Fusion had shot 61 times on Lakeland’s Anna Maulson, who saved an astounding 54 of them.  

Lakeland shot only 14 times and the Fusion’s Olivia Dumond stopped six of those while Sydney Seeley saved eight.

Valley Union

On Friday, the Thunderbirds had more energy, but were still unable to find the net.

“We got our feet back and played well but the puck wasn’t rolling our way,” Bucklew said.

To start the game, however, circumstances were. The Thunderbird’s had a good scoring opportunity when Valley Union’s Lauryn Broecker was called for a two-minute minor 3:55 into the game, but Lakeland was unable to take advantage of the power play.  

That missed opportunity hurt the T-Birds because when Wisconsin Valley Union came back full strength they scored twice.  First Shelby Tryba scored unassisted and then she assisted on a goal, along with Lyndsey Glodosky, by Emily Nolan.

At the first intermission the score was 2-0 Valley Union.

Cadie Ash made that 3-0 in the second period off an assist by Nolan and Alayna Bruneau.

But Ash was called for hooking 9:44 into the second and sent to the box for two minutes. Once again Lakeland was unable to take advantage. They also failed to do so at the end of the period when Valley Union’s Vivienne Meyer was called for tripping.

These missed chances to chip away and steal momentum again cost Lakeland, because once Valley Union resumed with a full team they were again relentless with their scoring attack.  

In the third Lauryn Broecker scored, assisted by Anna Ryder, as did Nolan again, assisted by Glodosky and Tryba, and the games final score was 5-0 in favor of Wisconsin Valley Union.

Despite the loss, coach Bucklew was pleased with the way his girls battled.

“We played a good game,” Buckelew said. “We just couldn’t stick anything in the net.

The T-Birds were once again outshot on Friday, shooting 26 on goal in comparison to Valley Union’s 37.  

Anna Maulson made 28 saves for the T-Birds while Sagen Quade stopped nine.

For Wisconsin Valley Union, Pistol Cowden made 26 saves.  

Lakeland played one more game in the Culver’s Cup, on Dec. 29 against Northland Pines past deadline. Coverage of that game will be in the next edition.

Jacob Friede may be reached at or